Monday, May 31, 2010

Underground railroad lanterns

While studying about the Civil War, I find a really cute idea on making lanterns (for the underground railroad) from fellow blogger and FIAR sister Heather at Blog, She wrote. So we filled the empty cans up with water and froze them. After they were frozen, we used a hammer and a nail to make the holes. We let the ice thaw, dried them off, and then painted them.




This is a view from the top with the candle inside.


This is the side view.

These actually worked really well. We walked around our neighborhood after 9:30 p.m. and we could see just fine. It was a great project.

2 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! We'll be doing a Civil War study after our Revolutionary War study I do believe.. My 9 year old has decided he loves history, which is very cool because I love history myself. :D It's fun to share that passion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kendra, we had a lot of fun with the Civil War and the Underground Railroad. I cannot say I am proud of everything that has happened in the past but my kids are very interested in all of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.