Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ring Around the Rosie

Odd to think that a nursery rhyme about the bubonic plague would be a favorite of so many young children.  I remember playing and singing this when I was little but I never knew what it was about.  I liked the falling down part the best!  While studying the Middle Ages, we discovered the origins and meaning of the song.  Very interesting!

Ring around the Rosie-- refers to a red mark, supposedly the first sign of the plague.

A pocket full of posies-- people would put posies in their pockets to help cover the scent of death when they had the illness.

Ashes, ashes-- for the bodies that were burned (to ash) to stop the spread of infection. 

We all fall down-- Basically means death.  The Plague took victims who were rich or poor, young or old.

I am not a fan of the falling down part anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.