Monday, August 4, 2014

Red-headed woodpecker Melanerpes erythrocephalus

About a month and a half ago, our dishwasher decided to stop working.  I never thought for a minute there would be a benefit from standing and hand washing all of the dishes but today, however, I was glad I was standing there.  This beautiful red-headed woodpecker decided to come and get a snack.  I took these pictures through a window screen but I think this bird's beauty is clear no matter where the picture has been taken.  If you know me at all, you know this is one of my favorites.  I guess that is why I took 49 pictures today of just this beauty.

He just decided to land and see if he could grab a bite. 
He managed to stuff 5 whole peanuts in his mouth before he flew away. 
He is back.
He can hear me so he pauses.
Filling up his beak.
This time he was only able to snag three before he
decided to take off.  He had a little competition
today from a Blue jay and a few mocking birds.

Isn't this jay a cutie?

This is a pair of mocking birds.  One was actually feeding the other.  So sweet!
(Click to enlarge the picture and you can see the other mocking bird has his mouth open).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.