Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Medical transcription

I thought I would do a blog post on my job, medical transcription.  People ask me all the time about this job.   They want to know when do I work, what exactly is it that I do, where did I learn how, and how much money I make.  So here it is.

To be a medical transcriptionist you need to take a course.  The course I chose took me a little over 1 year to complete.  It can be done quicker but when you have kids and are homeschooling and just the every day stuff can slow you down a bit.

When do I work?  Whenever I can find time.  It could be 5:30 in the morning or 5:30 at night since I am working at home.  I usually try to fit in at least 2-3 hours a day, I know this is not a lot but I am a part-timer by design.

Money?  You can make a good amount of money doing this job if you put in the hours.  You get paid by the line and usually the rate does not go up.  As I stated above, I am only part-time and luckily we are not dependent on any of income.

What am I doing?  I am typing a legal, medical report on a real person.  The doctors will use a machine and dictate what they would like to report about a certain patient and then I type what they say.  It is no rocket science but it can be very challenging.  YOU MUST BE DETAIL ORIENTED TO DO THIS JOB!  After the report is finished, it goes straight to the doctor's office.  They usually check over it and then file it in the patient's chart.  That is it!

For the most part, I enjoy it because it gives me something of my own to do and it shows my girls that mommies can indeed do everything!

2 comments:

  1. Howdy Tracey! I FOUND YOU!!! Your blog looks great. I am bookmarking as we speak! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I found out how to unlock the security and release this trash for the world to read! I had a lot of people asking me about it so I linked it to my yahoo page and the FIAR forums.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.