Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kaya, An American Girl

We have finally wrapped up our unit on World War II.  Honestly, we could have studied WWII for a full year and not covered everything.

So now, we are working on Kaya, An American Girl.  I decided to make this a mostly project-based unit even though we do A LOT of projects for most of our unit studies anyway.  We are hands on learners.

Kaya is from the Pacific Northwest, and she was a Nez Perce Indian.  Her time period is 1764.

For this study, we are learning about Appaloosa horses, the Nez Perce Indians, Chief Joseph, tepees (which the correct spelling is actually tipi).  We will probably learn about coyotes, salmon, and buffalo too.

We have already made a small tipi, a dream catcher, a corn husk doll, a loom weaving project, and a dress for one of our American Girl dolls.  I know I will be adding to this list as we read through the book but this is the plan for now.


The book, Meet Kaya.
C12 made this dress.
A10 made this dress.
The front of C12's tipi.

The back!
The front of A10's tipi.
The back!
This is our little corn husk family complete with a little baby corn husk.  Aren't they corny?  These were fun to make but they were a little tricky too.
A10's dream catcher.

C12's dream catcher.
I got the idea for the weaving loom from my buddy, Heather, over at Blog, She Wrote.

This is an example of the weaving.  I have to say this is pretty neat.

This is the corn husky mom wearing one of the finished weaving projects.  I think she likes it!
Well, I think this is a good example of a project-based unit, and we are still not finished yet.  We have been having a great time!

I am linking a few fun games from the American Girl website.
Kaya's catch of the day.
Kaya's mountain escape.
Kaya's search.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.