Saturday, February 27, 2016

Misadventures of moving....

For the last few months we have been trying to pack up and move out of our house of over 11 years due to poor choices on the part of another.  I think there should be a new law on the books.  Whomever is responsible for the family losing their home should have to pay for the moving and packing of the rest of the family because let me tell you, packing up 11 years in boxes is no fun task, no fun task indeed!

I do want to thank our amazing friends and family that helped us over the last week and never complained even though there certainly was good reason to.  We could have never done it without them!  Everyone graciously moved furniture and box after box after box, you get the picture.  So many boxes!  Did I mention we moved to the third floor of an apartment building?  Yeah, there is that.  Three flights of stairs.  It was a pain to move everything up to the top but it sure is nice being up here.  Did I mention it was raining most of the time?  And there was a broken bone, bruises, and a skinned up knee as well.  Oh and a few things flew out of one of the trucks.  Oops!

The moving crew was made up of several adults (two former college wrestling champs and a basketball coach) and wait for it.......12 kids!  I think that is why it was so much fun for everyone!  Having all the kids made the apartment feel more like home.  I honestly was not thinking the kids would be doing much more than playing around but they were an amazing help.  They had a relay race going; one from the truck/trailer to the first flight of steps, then another at the second flight of steps, and you guessed it up to the top!  They also helped take apart certain pieces of furniture and help put it back together again.  We are so blessed to have such a good support system in place.

I did a blog post about moving and superstitions, you can read about that here.  It is fun to read back through that now and see which applied to us.

We brought our loaf of bread even though it was passed the expiration date.  I had a brand new container of salt but there was no way I was going to throw it all over the floor.  The broom, I elected to leave our broom behind but somehow a broom showed up here and has been sitting outside, and I have no idea where it came from, weird!  There was a little hammering but not after the sunset.  And it did rain on Saturday when we started to move.

I do not consider myself a superstitious person but it is fun learning about the different things that are considered good luck or bad luck during a move. I think we have had our share of bad luck, and there is nothing but good waiting ahead of us.  We are off to an excellent start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.