Thursday, April 13, 2017

Today's call time 5:30 p.m.........

I have been posting helpful info about working in movies, as extras, smaller parts, or making your way to the top.  C17's call time today is 5:30 p.m. which may sound wonderful but let me tell why it is not.

A call time of 5:30 p.m. means all night, all freakin' night!  Lucky for me, she is able to be dropped off on the set but for you folks with younger kids in the production, forget about it.  If they are there, you are there; all.night.long!  Your child will need to sleeping during the day and sleep as long as possible.  Like I said before, what ever time they start, a good rule is to add 12 hours to that time, i.e.-5:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. and know it will possibly be an addition 2 hours.  If you are a drop off parent, be back at 5:30 a.m.  These kids are tired, and they need to go home!

Today's location is about 1-1/2 away from where we live, and I will confess, I am no navigator.  I can get lost pretty much anywhere, anytime.  We are all used to it.  We also have to drive through the insanity that is The ATL.  Oh my gawd Atlanta traffic is the worse, even more so since the collapse of a major bridge two weeks ago.  Anyway, all of this means that to be on time (never be late remember) we need to leave at 3:00 p.m.  I will probably even shoot for 2:45.

What to do when you arrive.  First, find the sign in table and get to work on your paper work.  If you have been there before, usually you can just write "on file" and keep going.  Then head over to wardrobe.  That is where the people with sweat pants will be waiting to tell you what to wear.  Don't get me wrong, I love sweat pants and yoga pants, its just funny to have someone in sweats tell you what to wear.  After wardrobe go to hair, then go to make up, or the other way around depending on the line.  After you have done that, find a place to sit and chill.  They never have a start time.

If you are a parent with a younger child and will be waiting the 14 hours out (been there, done that too many times to count) God help you.  If you are a parent that has to stay, please, please, please leave your little ones at home!  If you have dropped your older child off and you have to come back and get them, set your alarm, get up, and go.  We only have one car so I will be setting my alarm for 3:30 a.m. (wonderful).

Working parents with a child in a production.  This one is very tricky, especially for a single parent like me.  I am so fortunate that I can work from home but that does not mean I don't have to do the work, I do even if I have been awake half the night driving long distances and getting 2 to 3 hours of sleep before.  I have to stay awake all day to work and do the other million and a half things I have to do, hopefully sleeping a few hours, and then drive out of here in the darkness but both of my kiddos love to be in movies so I make it happen one way or another.  They are both booked for overnight shoots Monday and Tuesday so same things as above. Also, after you pick up your child, you will probably want to sleep all day like them but no such thing will happen.  Work and other tasks still have to get done so plan on not a lot of sleep even when the overnight shoot is over.

That is basically what an overnight shoot will entail, of course, anything is subject to change at any minute.  The production people fly by the seat of their pants and make up stuff as they go. Sometimes, they don't even know anything.

Hope this helps and quiet on the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.