Monday, October 17, 2011

No Stress Chess

Our study of the middle ages has brought us a new favorite game.  I would not have thought that Chess would be a major source of entertainment in our busy house but I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of time my kids (and myself) have spent playing this game. 

Chess was played throughout the middle ages and the rules were modified many times but generally have remained the same.  Fortunately for me, when I decided to add learning to play Chess to our middle ages activities, I found No Stress Chess.  This is such an easy way to learn how to play Chess. 

Basically, there is a set of cards which explains how each Chess piece functions.  For example, pawn, the first time a pawn is moved, it can be moved 2 spaces straight ahead but from then on that pawn may only move 1 space straight or diagonally.  The board also tells the starting location of each Chess piece.  How smart is that!  So, if you have no idea how to play, you simply pick a card and follow the instruction for the Chess piece.  After you catch on, you can flip the board over and play without cards.
 
Here are a few photos of the game itself.



No Stress Chess is one of the best games I have purchased.   I highly recommend it!

Now for a little background on the game Chess.  Some believe that Chess originated in China somewhere around the 2nd century B.C. and others believe its origin to be 6th century A. D. India then spreading to Persia and later into Southern Europe.

The game of Chess was also said to be popular with The Vikings.  The Vikings carved their Chess pieces out of walrus ivory and whales' teeth.  Below you can see a few of the original pieces called The Lewis Chessmen.
 
History of chess
Lewis chessmen-Wikipedia


File:Wfm lewis chessmen.jpg
pictures from Wikipedia
We have really enjoyed our new found game.  The game has been left out of the box and ready to play at a moments notice, and it has been played a lot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for horsing around with me. You really never know what you will get when you read my blog so thanks for stopping by.